A trip up a traffic filled 680 freeway and a warm Diablo Valley gymnasium didn't stop the Renegades from taking their second straight tournament win on Friday. In their first match up the Renegades would take on the Mariners of the College of Marin. The Renegades would come out firing to start the match, and they would extend to a lead as high as 9 points in that first set. Howevenr, the Mariners ended up making a few adjustments and slowly closed the gap with timely digs and tough serving. Each set would continue with each side exchanging point for point. The Mariners would actually go on to the third set leading throughout up to their 23rd point. But attacks from match kill leader freshmen outside hitter Clare Deal (12 kills) and match hitting percentage leader freshmen middle blocker Katie King (0.429% on 6 kills in 14 attempts) would end up being too much for the Mariners. The Renegades would go on to the win in straight sets versus Marin in tough fought battle.
In match #2 of the tournament the Renegades would take on the host Vikings of Diablo Valley College. Despite some great defensive efforts by the injury laden Vikings squad, the Renegades offense would prove to be a little too much to take on. Led by the serving of freshmen defensive specialist Veronica Brumburgh (7 service aces), the Renegades would go on to sweep the match and win the DVC Classic Tournament for the second straight year.
Other statistical highlights from the tournament include:
Ohlone College def. College of Marin, 3-0 (25-18, 25-20, 25-23)
- Freshmen outside hitter Clare Deal led in kills with 12, and in service aces with 3
- Freshmen middle blocker Katie King led in hitter percentage (0.429) with 6 kills and no errors on 14 attempts
- Sophomore setter Raychelle Rebosura-Castillo led in assists with 24
- Sophomore libero Elena Webster led in digs with 31
Ohlone College def. Diablo Valley College, 3-0 (25-11, 25-8, 25-14)
- Freshmen outside hitter Clare Deal led in hitting percentage (0.588) and kills with 11 in 17 attempts and only 1 error
- Freshmen defensive specialist Veronica Brumburgh led in service aces with 7
- Freshmen setter Savannah Rampola led in assists with 16
- Sophomore libero Elena Webster led in digs with 11
Ohlone Volleyball (4-0) is home for the first time this season on Wednesday, September 11 for the annual Ohlone College Classic Tournament. They will host West Hills College (2-4) and Los Medanos College (4-4) for matches at 1pm and 5pm respectively.